I gotta get this off my Triple D chest… When you really are a Grown Ass Black Woman, you may not always have the time to make sure your family is eating a balanced diet, let alone trying to figure out what the hell you will feed yourself (you’re a unicorn if you can remember to do that). As a traveling chef, mom, event coordinator, and cooking class instructor I know that at times my family gets neglected at the dinner table.… damn I just said that out loud.
Just when I had my 2020 vision goggles resting on the tip of my nose… BOOM!!!
Here goes this “Corona Virus aka COVID 19 aka rain on everyone’s parade aka the usher into a freaking global recession (HUGE question mark actually)?!
Disclaimer: If you have not yet heard about this completely insane pandemic, please, oh please, girl, come from under that rock you have been living under!!! Nevertheless please see CORONA for every single known fact about the extremely infectious disease!
OK, girl! Back to our program….
Let me start with asking…. What the hell is this thing??? And how has it taken over grocery stores????? I started writing this three or four days ago and have spent the last two days in every grocery store in Humble, Texas trying to be sure that MY family has everything we need.
Luckily for us, I stock our house pretty nicely with all of the essential cleaning and toiletry supplies regularly… God bless those who are going without!
If you didn't know before, now you know to be prepared for the most unusual situations, you must stay on your GROWN ASS BLACK WOMAN SHAT… at all times!
I've put together a few things to help you keep you and your family well-fed and protected during this pandemic.
1. Start with the essentials… mkay :) !! PROTEINS, FRUITS, VEGGIES, GRAINS, and DAIRY… are your essentials/ must-haves because you can make just about any meal from these five items. Catch these tips on putting together breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks during this “incubation” period. And your junk food and treats later after you have taken care of business!
2. "When you arrive at the store, “You may have to opt for frozen proteins. A lot of grocery stores are not going to have premium options. Go in with the mentality of having to choose from what is left”, Chef Tiffani shares on hopeoverhurt.org. You may have gotten a late start to your grocery shopping but this great grocery tip from Chef Tiffani (IG: @chef2thestars) who is not only a celebrity chef to many of your favorites but she is also an advocate of all things woman and all things black!!
3. Get the day started with breakfast. Go light and have some oatmeal with fresh fruit, toast and a glass of milk or having yogurt with granola and fresh strawberries. Even a scrambled egg with a sprinkle of cheese or a fruit and veggies blended smoothie is perfect!
4. Easy lunch and dinner ideas include making a mixed green salad with baked salmon or having a bowl of steamed veggies and pre-cooked grilled chicken on rice, stir fry style. You can even go with a classic meal prep style if you have to… Cube your potatoes, chop your vegetables and chicken breasts and drizzle oil, salt, pepper, and garlic/onion powder, bake and package it up for the week!
Honey… If you are like me and have a family that depends on you, you may need to go with larger bulky family-style meals like lasagna or spaghetti, you know, things that hold well in the fridge and can be great as leftovers.
5. “Stock up on fresh herbs, and a variety of organic vegetables and fruits. Also consume sea-moss, if your local market has it available. Sea-moss contains 92 of the 102 essential nutrients needed for healthy body function. This is one of the very best ways not only detox but also build a strong immune system during this pandemic crisis.” Paige Walker (IG: @slaytheveganway), owner of “Slay The Vegan Way”, suggests.
The best way to be prepared and to make sure your household is as safe as possible from this pandemic, is to be aware of your surroundings, WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN, build your immune system, eat a balanced healthy diet (anyway) and…
Sis…. In all that you do, please stay hydrated. Not just now, but always…. PERIOD POO!!
Chef Cassi, A Grown Ass Black Woman